Tips for finding a sober home or recovery residence in CA:
- Check to see if it is certified by CCAPP or the Sober Living Network
- Call the California Department of Healthcare Services to see if any complaints have been filed against that residence
- Schedule a visit when residents are there. Ask them what they like about the house
- Talk to the house manager or administrator
- Ask if they do random drug and alcohol tests and what happens if the resident tests positive
- Ask if anyone on site has any training in helping with recovery
- Look at the daily schedule, house rules, and philosophy of the program. Is it a back-to-work program? Do most residents work? How long have people lived there? What are the group activities, if any?